86 miles from Eugene to the Pacific at Florence Oregon. Wrapped it up with a nice river side ride to Florence, then a little north to find a real dang beach to make it official (Florence is on a river slough).
I’m not sure if I can, or even need to, sum up the whole adventure. Luckily we kept a pretty good blog along the way, because it’s way too much to hold in my tiny head. It was amazing on an almost daily basis. I have learned a lot about our country, mainly that it is full of very nice people from one side to the other. Without exception the stereotypes I brought with me about places and people were deleted. I made more friends in the last three months than I have in the last three years.
Thank you all for reading this blog, and especially the many of you who offered comments, advice and good wishes. It really helped us along.
If this trip caught your imagination to any extent, I beg you to give it a try. There are no prerequisites but the will to try it. You don’t need to ride a lot of miles per day, go Transam, or buy a lot of fancy gear (you can borrow mine!). Go to adventurecycling.org and look for a trip (or segment of one) that suits you. Seeing the USA at 10MPH on the backroads is something you will really like.

20110828-113954.jpg

19 Responses to Finito

1. Wayne DeBord says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

2. Patty Johnson says:

Way to go! As a couch potato, I can truly say that I am exhausted, although I have enjoyed every blog along the way!

3. Tom carberry says:

Congratulations Rich. Well done. Lots of great memories that you will have for a lifetime. I will miss following you. Stay well my friend.

4. becky says:

Congratulations to you! We met you in Yorktown on the first day of your journey and it was fun following you to the end.

5. Leslie says:

So proud of you and my dad for taking on this trip. All of us reading about your adventures from the comfort of home have enjoyed the stories and pictures. Congratulations on finishing this amazing adventure!

6. debbie says:

Thanks for the vicarious thrill of a lifetime. Nest: Transiberia! Onward and upward.

7. Tim says:

Hey, Rich…congrats…this message is from Lynne:) What a wonderful adventure…thanks for sharing the next to the final evening with Tim and I…great getting to meet you and your friends, Peter and Aimee…quite a story…hey, maybe you can write a book now!! Here’s hoping to get down your way sometime this winter…Take care, relax and enjoy!
    Lynne:)

8. Tim says:

Hey Rich,
    Congratulations — well done and very inspiring! Looking forward to seeing you again this winter in sunny SoCal.
    Tim

9. David says:

Congratulations. It is an amazing country and you and Mike surely brought that to life in your blog and with your pictures. Thanks for sharing. I wonder how long it will take before your legs stop pumping?

10. jerry o says:

WAY to go!!!!! Another thing you talked about doing and DID! You’re my hero, looking foreword to a short ride with you whenI get back from Oregon.

11. Mike says:

Rich & Peter: You did it! You survived the hills and humidity of Virginia & Kentucky as well as the blistering heat of Kansas and the long stretches of no services in the west. Congratulation on finishing. Oh, and even though you had no schedule, ahead of schedule

12. Carol says:

Rich, Your last picture says it all!!
    So proud of you and Mike for taking on the United States of America via Bike! Your daily blogs and pictures brought to life a part of this country that was unknown to me. I vicariously learned a lot from your amazing adventure! See you soon!

13. Loretta says:

Hooray. Richard stands triumphant on wet sands again blue Pacific sky! And represents Mike too!! What a real thrill this trip has been. You both vividly conveyed the road, the great folks, gorgeous nature photos, and the fascinating Americana with great affection and wry humor. You are heroes. And I am inspired. I may even expand my bike trips from around University Heights all the way to the beach one day. If I can find my way that is …
    Thank you both.

14. Randy says:

One small step for a man, one giant leap…. Congrats, I loved the daily dispatches on my iPhone daily. Can’t wait to hear your stories, all though it’s tough to top the entries.

15. Mary Jo Curwen says:

Congratulations–you did it! Enjoyed following your trip–will Mike want to finish the part he missed next year? Any volunteers to accompany him? (Not me!!!) Have to meet you sometime! Mary Jo
    PS Will be seeing Mike next week–hope he’s recouping well!

16. Mark says:

Wow! Great job Rich! This is truly an amazing accomplishment. You’ve earned some rest and relaxation. Best of luck with your next challenge,

Mark

17. Tina Workman says:

Wow, what can I say! What an accomplishment! It has been fun following your adventure this summer. Mark and I enjoyed meeting you and Mike in Missouri when we hooked up with the Chicken and its rider.

18. Mike & Joan says:

Hey Rich,
    Congratulations on the strong finish! You guys did a great job, not just in getting there, but in how you got there. Your enthusiasm and your interest in the places you visited and the people you met were strong and infectious, and made the trip.

I wish we could have been there finishing with you, but we will eventually get there in our own sweet time. But I will say that the days we rode with you and Mike and Peter and Aimee were some of the best on this trip. We miss you all!

Congratulations again, and do your best to keep the memories and the “glow” of the trip alive as you get back to life in the real world!
    –Mike & Joan